Sunday, January 27, 2013

TOP TEN MOVIES OF 2012

Unlike many of my colleagues, I found 2012 a thin year for quality American movies (this was decidedly not the case with foreign films, which I will list separately). But the December glut of releases more than made up for a lackluster year overall, accounting for six of my top ten. Here are my favorite movies of the year, in order, and the six directors I would have nominated for an Oscar (with apologies to Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master," which I inexcusably missed):

1. ZERO DARK THIRTY* - Kathryn Bigelow
2. LINCOLN - Steven Spielberg
3. ARGO - Ben Affleck
4. DJANGO UNCHAINED - Quentin Tarantino
5. MOONRISE KINGDOM - Wes Anderson

6. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK - David O. Russell
7. LES MISERABLES
8. BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
9. BERNIE - yes, a comedy!
10. THE IMPOSSIBLE 

Honorable Mention:
The Deep Blue Sea - Rachel Weisz deserves that fifth Oscar slot for Best Actress
The Dark Knight Rises
Skyfall
Searching for Sugarman - documentaries do not usually make the cut, but this one is an exception

Saw & enjoyed:
Flight
Hitchcock (overlooking the many liberties it took with the truth)
Looper

* continuing a tradition from last year, these movies starred the lovely Jessica Chastain