Thursday, January 27, 2011

Oscar Snubs: 2011 edition

I promised I wouldn't get upset anymore about the inevitable glaring omissions in the nominations list, but the more I think about this year, I can't help myself. This time, I will go a step further and call out the undeserving nominees who took away the spots earned by the following performances.

But first, a tip of the hat to all the nominations TRUE GRIT received, and to the recognition given Deadwood-alum John Hawkes for his work in WINTER'S BONE. Well done, Academy!

Category -- Snub-ee / should have replaced:

ACTRESS -- Julianne Moore / Nicole Kidman
>>I have already made clear my admiration for Ms. Moore's work in "The Kids Are All Right;" I haven't made public my opinion that the great Nicole Kidman has sabotaged her career as a 'serious' actress through cosmetic surgery. Sitting through the contemptible "Rabbit Hole," I couldn't get two thoughts out of my mind: 1) that's NICOLE KIDMAN sitting in a bowling alley in Yonkers with a bunch of average-looking people; and 2) for as emotional a performance as playing a grieving mother, why isn't the bottom of her face moving? Below her eyes, I saw no expression in her beautiful face. What a shame.

ACTOR -- Mark Wahlberg / Javier Bardem
>>Nothing against Javier (I haven't even seen "Biutiful") but Markie-Mark's subdued performance was the backbone of "The Fighter."

Supp. Actress -- Mila Kunis / Jackie Weaver
>>Raise your hand if you have seen "Animal Kingdom." My point exactly.

Supp. Actor -- Andrew Garfield / Jeremy Renner
>>Solid, but not award-worthy work by Renner in "The Town," a standard crime drama; Garfield's breakthrough performance was vital to the superior "The Social Network."

Two comments about the 'minor awards." How can "Waiting for Superman" not be recognized for Best Documentary? How can "Alice in Wonderland" receive 3 nominations, but NOT one for Best Make-Up!?!

And finally, it has become a tradition with me to go off on a rant against one particular nominee (usually in the Best Original Score category). This year, the Winner Is .... A.R. Rahman !! for "127 Hours."

Last year's deserving winner for "Slumdog Millionaire" merely recycled the music and energy that worked so well in the previous film. For a movie about the isolation and desperation of a hiker trapped by a boulder in the middle of nowhere, it could not have been more inappropriate! As with Danny Boyle's "look-at-me" directing style, it was ostentatious and needlessly distracting. Jai-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment