Saturday, September 27, 2008

An all-Czech weekend!

DATELINE - Austin, Texas - Sept. 27th:

Another 'Post From the Road', again at my favorite coffeehouse in Austin (Halcyon on W. 4th St.). Why am I in Austin, you ask?? To see the stars of last year's indie hit -- and Oscar* winner -- "Once," of course! (Not once, but twice!)

Yesterday I saw the band known as "The Swell Season" (featuring Irish musician Glenn Hansard & Czech singer Marketa Irglova) in an abbreviated, 45-minute set, hampered by sound and equipment difficulties, at the 7th Annual Austin City Limits Festival -- my first visit to this renowned event (the closest I will have to a Woodstock experience, since I am too old for 'Burning Man.')

I also heard complete sets by David Byrne and Patty Griffin, and sampled songs from Alejandro Escovedo, Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley), the Freddy Jones Band (from Chicago? never heard of them), and Jakob Dylan (sounds just like his dad!)

Tonight I will be seeing a more complete set by the Swells at the historic Paramount Theater in downtown Austin. Set lists for both shows will follow, as will my review of the Sunday matinee of the film "I Served the King of England," by noted Czech director Jiri Menzel. That will make it 3 Czech artists in 3 days! (In Central Texas, where Czech immigrants settled in the 19th Century).
I think I'll stop for a kolache on my drive back to Houston!

* TM

No comments:

Post a Comment