Friday, July 18, 2008

Thoughts about the Emmy Nominations

July 17, 2007 --

Allow me a brief departure from movies to talk about the 'lesser' arts ... with all the movie stars doing TV now, the Emmy nominations are starting to read like the Oscars! (Glenn Close, Holly Hunter, Laura Linney, Laura Dern
-- a lock for Recount).

Before I take the TV Academy to task, a few overall comments:

Basic cable / premium cable...now that I'm on the dish, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me! I'm just glad these smaller shows are getting recognized. [I'm speaking specifically about Dexter ... I haven't seen Mad Men or Damages--because who watches AMC or FX, really?!?]

And I'm sure '30 Rock' has a devoted following, but -- 17 nominations?? Really?? Is is that better than 'The Office'? Or rather, since 17 nominations is more than ANY comedy series has ever received, is 30 Rock that better than Seinfeld-Cheers-Frasier-Mary Tyler Moore?? It is not because it has no competition this year, either!

I keep telling myself not to take the Emmy's seriously -- why bother getting excited, when you already know that James Spader, William Shatner (Boston Legal) and Tony Shalhoub (Monk) will win, AGAIN!?! [How can people vote for a show no one watches? (see, Monk).] The Amazing Race is a lock, too -- can you say "Over-rated?" Here is a synopsis of every episode in every season of The Race: Contestant (loudly, to Third World cabbie): "I'm an Ugly American, and we have to get to the Airport FAST!!" Quality television.


On to my quibbles --

In Treatment: my favorite show of the new season did get the most important recognition, for Gabriel Byrne's brilliant lead performance as Paul. But no Best Drama Series, and none of the patients were recognized, which is nothing short of a travesty considering the riveting performances by Aussie hottie Melissa George (Laura/Monday--last seen in Alias), Aussie teen Mia Wasikowska (Sophie/Wednesday), and Blair Underwood (Alex/Tuesday--the best work of his career!) Yet they DID recognize the only cast member who looked totally uncomfortable with the concept of the series -- Dianne Weist.

John Adams: I am sure it is deserving of its 22 nominations (I couldn't commit to it); the problem is that it received 23: Best Actor for Paul Giamatti, who by all accounts was as uncomfortable in the role as Dianne Weist!!

Dexter: Didn't get enough! How about some props for the supporting cast, or at least Best Casting of a Series (from which In Treatment was also snubbed).

What can you expect from an institution that has created a separate category called "Outstanding Special Class Program--Awards Programs." Here is an awards show that gives an award to other awards shows! Not only that, you know the Musical Director a**-hole who cuts off the Oscar winners during their acceptance speeches? He gets a nomination EVERY YEAR! No shame. It's as lame as the "Best Commercial" category.

No comments:

Post a Comment