Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Welcome to my 'blog'

Here's the plan...

Apparently, any moron can become a 'film critic' these days, as long as they work for an entertainment website and can string two sentences together. And the more lame and superficial their opinions are, the bigger the 'blurb' they get in movie ads! I say to them what the prisoner famously said to George Costanza at the airport newstand: "YOU'RE A BLURB!" ('The Airport Pickup" episode, Seinfeld season four).

In protest, I've been creating my own TOP TEN MOVIE LIST each year for as long as I can remember, then sending it to friends, family, and whosever email address I happen to have at the time. Some appreciate the effort; others copy it and take it with them to the video store [even though they know I do not condone watching a movie on a TV--at home!]; the majority don't seem to care much.

Generally, I rank a movie in the year it was released (even if I saw it the following year, pre-Oscars). The exceptions (foreign & docs) I saw long after the Oscars. Some years I divide the foreign films and documentaries into different lists; some years (like 2006, unfortunately), I have to make a WORST MOVIE LIST as well.

Where'd I Get the Name?

It's true, foreignfilmguy hasn't posted any comments on FOREIGN films in 2006 yet. So where does the name come from? It was the onscreen name I chose when I participated in my first online 'chat': back when the Washington Post movie critic Rita Kempley began her weekly chat. (Somebody had already taken 'artmovieguy').

I want to be a travel writer, too

I hope to post brief sketches of trips I have taken. I will start with a fledgling effort from 2005: a report I submitted to a Washington Post Travel Section contest (prize: a digital camera) -- I lost.
=(

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:17 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful insight, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Locke! Welcome to my blog!
    What's up with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa3:48 PM

    I enjoy your blog, Ron! Love your top ten lists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Teresa. Keep reading!
    (ffg)

    ReplyDelete